Introduction to law

Introduction to Law


At first, I am wondering why am I need to study law even if I want to be a quantity surveyor. But now, I realised that I need to study law to protect myself when I am entering to a contract and to protect my own reputation. The lecturer for this subject is miss Shoba, who is a qualified lawyer. 


Law is a system of rules and regulations to govern the conduct and behaviour of society. Law is important because it maintains order of society and avoids chaos. We are taught by miss Shoba about Malaysian Legal System, Contract Law and Tort. Miss Shoba has taught us categories of Malaysian law, Sources of Malaysian law, Content of law, separation of powers, parliament, how laws are made, Malaysian court system. About the contract law, I have learned that a contract is a document containing terms and conditions that have been agreed between the parties which is enforceable by law. Contracts are governed by the Contract Act 1950 and common law. Usually, contract must be in writing form, if it is in oral agreements, it will be difficult to prove. Under the contract law, I have learned limitation of contract, privity of contract, offer, termination, revocation of the offer, acceptance of the offer, intention to create legal relations, domestic arrangements, consideration, certainty, consent, discharge of contracts, capacity and remedies for breach of contract. For tort, it basically is a wrong, it is an act or omission against another which is not allowed by law. Tort is governed by common law or case law. I have learned negligence,  nuisance, intentional tort,vicarious liability, occupier's liability, defamation and professional negligence. Basically, contract law and tort are aim to protect ourself as a quantity surveyor to be sued by another person and to let us know what is our right and what we should do and what we shouldn't. At last, I am glad that i have learned law this subject so that i am able to protect myself in my future work.

No comments:

Post a Comment